Social Media


Healthy Home Cooking: Nealy Fischer shares her recipe for gluten-free brownie bites

EatPost Category - EatEat

Here at Sassy Mama, we don’t believe in extreme diets. The secret to good nutrition is all about a healthy balance and portion control! There are plenty of ways to eat the foods you crave while staying fit, so we’ve enlisted the help of health and wellness expert Nealy Fischer of MAYYA Movement to share home recipes that are both good and good for you!

Brownies? Healthy? It all boils down to balance.  Research clearly demonstrates that when we deprive ourselves of too many delicious goodies in life we have a greater chance of rebounding and binging. I live based on the 90:10 rule. Eat clean, fresh foods 90 percent of the time and splurge on the other 10 percent. That pretty much means choose two meals a week to indulge in. At MAYYA Movement I am all about promoting clean, balanced living with the occasional treat, because what’s life without a little chocolate?

My ideal brownie is moist and fudgy and just the right size to hit the spot without being too heavy. These brownies hit the spot and are great for entertaining. Just be careful not to eat the whole batch!

Gluten-free Brownie Bites


1 ½ cups good quality chocolate
½ cup coconut oil
3 eggs
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp vanilla
½ cup almonds, finely ground
¼ cup rice flour
¼ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt


  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare mini muffin tins and spray with cooking oil to coat. Set aside.
  2. In a double broiler, melt chocolate and coconut oil.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, agave and vanilla. Add melted chocolate while whisking to avoid cooking the eggs.
  4. Add almonds, flour, baking soda and salt and mix well.
  5. Fill muffin tins ¾ of the way full and bake about 15 minutes until set in center.

Nealy’s Tips:

  • Do not over bake
  • Bake in mini muffin tins for ease of presentation and portion control. If you prefer, this recipe can be baked in a square pan and cut into squares.
  • Make extra and freeze. Brownies will keep two months frozen.
  • To serve, glaze with chocolate ganache. 

Chocolate Ganache


1 bag good quality chocolate chips
½ cup canned coconut milk


  1. Bring coconut milk to a boil. Lower heat.
  2. Add chocolate chips and blend until smooth. Cool and ice brownies.
*this recipe is copyrighted for Nealy’s cookbook

more sassy mama

What's New

We're social

We're social

What we're up to and what inspires us