For the love of avos
With recommendations for eating well during pregnancy changing faster than Hong Kong weather, it’s not always easy for mums-to-be to keep up with what should and shouldn’t be included in their diet. Thankfully, a study published in the USA has made things that little bit easier by suggesting that the universally much-loved avocado should be high on the list of edibles during pregnancy and lactation.
We already know that avocados are chock full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants but the study, published in Nutrients last year, suggests that they contain many of the crucial nutrients for fetal and infant health and development. As if we needed any more excuses to eat all of the avocados in Hong Kong, right?!
Read more: The Best Smashed Avocado on Toast in Hong Kong
Adding to the many reasons why avocados are the most super of superfoods – they are also high in both soluble and insoluble fibre, which can help to reduce the risk of developing a number of pregnancy-related conditions such as gestational diabetes, hypertension and pre-eclampsia. The study also suggests that the fatty acids found in avocados can benefit the fertility of those trying to conceive both naturally and through IVF… the list is endless!
Fortunately for us, avocado tastes fantastic smeared on anything and even better on its own, so it couldn’t be easier to incorporate the aptly named ‘pregnant fruit’ into our diets. Avocados have also been found to offer much-needed relief from morning sickness due to them being loaded with vitamin B6, which helps to reduce nausea. Avo on toast for breakfast it is!
To help you mamas and mamas-to-be indulge in your newfound avo appreciation, here’s a recipe for creamy avocado pesto – quick, easy, delicious!
- Pasta or spaghetti, as preferred
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Bring your pasta to the boil and leave to cook according to packet instructions.
- In a food processor, add the avocados, basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, sea salt, lemon juice and zest and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly add the olive oil and pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Drain your cooked pasta and combine with the avocado pesto in a large bowl, stirring through. Season with cracked black pepper and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!