Put a spring in your family’s step thanks to a helping hand from children’s food expert, Annabel Karmel. Brimming with fruit and veggies, these deliciously light recipes will give you all of the important goodness your family needs.
Chicken, Squash and Pea Risotto (Makes 4-5 portions)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 125g risotto rice
- 450ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 100g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1 chicken fillet, chopped
- 50g frozen peas
- A knob of butter
- 40g parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in an ovenproof saucepan or casserole dish.
- Add the onion and fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, then the rice. Add the stock, thyme and squash.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and transfer to the oven for 15 minutes, adding the peas for the last 5 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and fry the chicken until just cooked.
- Remove the risotto from the oven. Stir in the chicken, butter and parmesan. Serve immediately.
Vegetable Tortilla Wraps (Makes 2 wraps)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 courgette, topped and tailed, and cut into strips
- 1⁄2 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- Salt and pepper
- 2 flour tortillas
- 40g cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, courgette and pepper and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and sauté for 1 minute, then add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the mango chutney, then season.
- Warm the tortillas in a microwave for a few seconds, to make them more pliable.
- Divide the vegetables between the two tortillas and sprinkle over the cheese. Roll up and cut in half.
Carrot, Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters (Makes 8-10 fritters)
- 1 egg
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 100g courgette, grated
- 50g carrot, grated
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp canned sweetcorn, drained
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
- A little oil, for frying
- Beat the egg in a mixing bowl then beat in the flour and milk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and season.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Take spoonfuls of the mixture and fry them for 2 – 3 minutes each side until lightly golden, turning over halfway through.
- You may have to do this in batches, so keep the cooked fritters warm while you cook the rest.
Exotic Fruit, White Chocolate and Cereal Cupcakes (Makes 12 cupcakes)
- 150g porridge oats
- 50g crispy rice
- 100g mixed exotic dried fruits, e.g. papaya, mango, pineapple, chopped
- 60g pecan nuts, chopped
- 100g unsalted butter
- 125g golden syrup
- 85g white chocolate, broken into pieces
- In a bowl combine the oats, crispy rice, chopped exotic fruits and nuts.
- Put the butter, golden syrup and white chocolate into a saucepan and heat gently until melted.
- Stir the mixture into the dry ingredients until they are well coated.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases and divide the mixture between them, pressing down lightly. Store in the fridge.
For more recipe inspiration download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler app. Access more than 200 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times. Available from the app store now.