It’s time for parents to sleep like a baby
We put so much thought into our kids’ sleep, buying the best cot mattresses and making sure our bubs have a good bedtime routine, but what about us parents? Mums and dads deserve to sleep like a baby too, right? Heaven knows we need it – coffee and under-eye concealer only go so far! So what’s the secret to getting a sought after solid night’s sleep? Settling down for the night on a Natural Organic Latex Mattress from Okooko by European Bedding could be just the thing you need for the sweetest sleep, guaranteed.
Choose the right mattress!
When it comes to choosing a best-fit mattress, everyone’s needs are different, which is why European Bedding offers a range of mattresses (all 100% natural organic latex) from soft to firm in European mattress sizes. Head on down to its showroom and try their mattresses out for yourself — you may be surprised about which you personally find most comfortable! A good mattress with the correct level of firmness should support the natural alignment of your spine, with the shoulders, hips, heels and head supported. You shouldn’t feel any painful pressure points, – if you do this is a sign your mattress is too firm.
Sharing a bed can come with the same nightly struggles, there’s the one that hogs the covers and the other that wears socks to bed (that is weird, right?). But what if dad needs a firm mattress for his back but mum is a side sleeper and wants a softer mattress? Well, at Okooko by European Bedding you can actually pick two different levels of firmness in one mattress! A king size latex mattress can be made of two units of 90 x 200 cm blocks which are enclosed within a single king size mattress cover of 180 x 200 cm. This way each partner gets to sleep on a mattress of their preferred density – no compromises needed!
In our cramped Hong Kong apartments, we’ve really got to be critical about what we’re bringing into our homes. We need furniture that is easy to clean, safe and non-toxic and durable to last through our tropical climate. If you are worried about mould, which annoyingly grows all too easily in humid HK, you’ll be comforted to know that mattresses here are 100% natural and made from certified organic latex (made from the sap of the rubber tree, grown on plantations which don’t use pesticides and fertilisers), which makes them naturally mould resistant, anti-dust mite and anti-allergy. Plus, natural latex also means no cheap foam, springs or nasty glue. The open-cell natural structure of latex ensures good airflow, resulting in a comfortable sleeping temperature for this sticky climate. Plus, covers are all easily removable and cleanable too. Pop down to Okooko by European Bedding’s new home at The Plaza in Central to find out more about what’s on offer.
Sassy Mama’s top tips for getting some shut-eye:
- Avoid caffeine after 4pm and excessive alcohol before bed. Caffeine is a stimulant so instead of your afternoon flat white, choose a decaffeinated drink instead and try to limit your alcohol, which can elevate your body temperature and cause a restless night’s sleep.
- Exercise early in the day. People who exercise regularly sleep better, but choose your exercise timing wisely – better to get the blood pumping in the early morning as exercising right before bed elevates your metabolism, body temperature and cortisol, which may make getting to sleep harder.
- Turn off your screens: phones, computers, TVs and all most digital devices all emit blue light which can disrupt your body’s clock by reducing melatonin levels (the hormone responsible for regulating your sleep/wake cycle). Try to turn off your screens an hour or two before turning in for bed.
- Temperature check – is your room too hot to be comfortable? Take a cool shower and use the aircon or make sure you have a good fan overhead.
- Light check – is there any light keeping you from sleeping? Turn off all electronic devices and get blackout blinds to keep street lights out.
Sassy Mama readers can receive two free Natural Organic Pillows (worth $1100 each) with the purchase of any mattress at Okooko by European Bedding.
Okooko by European Bedding, 13/F, The Plaza LKF, 21 D’Aguilar Street Central, 2870 1132, europeanbedding.hk