Craving Chinese food? Our contributor Ifat shares her favourite recipe for egg fried rice… the little ones will love this, too!
Three kids in under four years, what was I thinking?
Well for a fact, I do love babies, I absolutely love being pregnant and without a doubt love love love being a mother.
What I didn’t know was that whilst one is quite easy, even though I was quite paranoid about doing everything right, two is harmony and three throws every ounce of order into disorder!
With the disorder in our family it can go like this: one child gets sick and you can bet soon after the other two get sick, too. I’m a hands on mum so rarely do I leave the kids alone with their yaya (helper); if I do leave them at all it will be with my mum or sister at their house, with a sense of relief that they are in good hands. So when they are all sick, generally, none of us leave home.
I work from home, so three sick children at home can be fun, or mayhem. Depends on how you look at it really, or when you have a pressing assignment or even when you are trying to finish writing a book or recipe then go back to test it, and well you see 1 Cup of Coconut Butter reads as 1 Cup of Diaper Cream then spending the next hour trying to decipher exactly what the diaper cream was supposed to be?!
Welcome to my wonderful world of chaos!
I do love it! Especially looking back always having funny stories to tell!
With that, I’m always trying to fit as much nutrition into a meal as possible. Some days, I’m so exhausted I don’t plan a thing and my only saving grace is that my pantry and fridge are filled with good ingredients and whipping things up will be easier than not.
Here’s a favourite dinner of the kiddies they can’t ever get enough of: fried rice their way!
- 1 Cup Mixed Brown & White Long Grain Rice
- 1 Cup Homemade Bone Broth (any flavour and if you don’t have bone broth any broth will do)
- 2 Eggs Scrambled
- ½ Cup Lettuce Minced (I tell them it makes them strong, just like Popeye – they are buying it for now at least! As they usually won’t eat it… only in their rice… sometimes!)
- 1 Cup Protein of Choice Minced (my daughter loves Salmon, my son loves beef, hubby loves chicken – all always organic / grass fed etc)
- 2 Tsp Coconut Amino
- 1 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- Fry the protein of choice in Ghee or Coconut Oil.
- When ready and juices flowing add cooked rice and mix well.
- Make a circle in the middle of the pan and add the scrambled egg and mix well.
- Add the coconut amino and mix well again.
- Lastly add the minced lettuce and mix again.
- Taste and see if you’re okay with it if not add a little bit more seasoning to your taste!
- When all done drizzle some toasted sesame oil on top, then serve!
*Please note that we make our rice in bone broth for the amazing benefits of bone broth! I will write about that another time along with a super easy to do recipe!
Featured image via Pinterest