Brilliant books at bargain prices
If you aren’t aware of the Hong Kong Book Fair, then you must be new in town. It’s an annual book lover’s extravaganza, where you can pick up some bibliophile bargains for the whole family. This year the fair takes place from 18 to 24 July at its usual spot, the Hong Kong Convention Centre in Wan Chai. You’ll find books from local and international publishers and distributors (680 exhibitors from 39 countries to be exact) including adult fiction, children’s books, educational materials, young adult and teen literature, English and Chinese reads and much, much more.
But let’s not beat around the bush, the crowds will be big, and even the Wan Chai MTR station can get packed around this time, so it’s best to be prepared. Here are our tips for braving the book fair and bagging those bargains:
- Avoid the queues and purchase your tickets online or from designated 7-Eleven and Circle K stores.
- Make sure you remember to bring your own shopping bag and (plastic-free!) water bottles as this year the organisers are trying to encourage a “green” fair.
- Forget picking up a map or booklets (you’re only going to use them as a fan anyway!) and download the fair’s official app to get the full low-down on the event.
- Most exhibitors except cash only so remember to stop by an ATM beforehand.
- Avoid the crowds – go early.
- If you have kids in tow, avoid meandering through the crowds by using the special passage that leads directly to the Children’s Paradise section. It’s on the left side of the HKCEC Harbour Road Entrance, leading directly to Exhibition Hall 3. Once you have the appropriate tickets, each child may be accompanied by two adult family members into the venue.
- If you buy more than you can carry (there’s more than just books, there are also plenty of toys and children’s accessories), look for The Service Counter, located at G107, to use the DHL delivery service to have your haul delivered to a designated address.
- The best bargains go on sale the final day as exhibitors are looking to get rid of their stock at discount prices. But beware – this isn’t a secret and the final day is famously chaotic.
When: Wednesday, 18 July to Tuesday, 24 July, 2018
Where: Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, 1 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
How much: Adults: $25, Children: $10, Super Pass (unlimited entry and special access to avoid queuing): $80. Click here for more ticketing options.
More information: hkbookfair.hktdc.com