As the temperature starts to rise, tuck in to these deliciously light dishes for a refreshing supper for all of the family to enjoy.
Chicken and Sweetcorn Quesadillas
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 small tortilla wraps
- Mix the paprika, chicken and seasoning together.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Fry the chicken until brown and cooked through. Set aside.
- Put one wrap in the pan.
- Mix the chicken, tomato, onion, sweetcorn and cheese together. Put half of the mixture on top of the wrap. Put another wrap on top and press down.
- After a few minutes, carefully flip over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Slide onto a plate and slice into wedges.
Makes 2 portions
Chinese-Style Pork in Lettuce Leaves
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ small red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 300g minced pork
- 225g tin water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 60g baby sweetcorn, cut into quarters
- 75g bean sprouts
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 12 little gem lettuce leaves
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the red pepper and onion, and stir-fry for three minutes.
- Meanwhile fry the minced pork in a dry frying pan until browned, stirring with a fork to break it up.
- Add the meat to the wok, stir in the water chestnuts, sweetcorn and beansprouts and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the oyster sauce and rice wine vinegar, then stir fry for a further 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Spoon into lettuce leaves and serve.
Makes 6 portions
Pineapple Rice Salad
- 110g/4oz cooked chicken or ham, shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 rings tinned pineapple, drained and cut into cubes
- ½ small red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp drained tinned sweetcorn
- 55g/2oz rice
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp honey
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions and allow to cool.
- Mix together the vinegar, oil and honey and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir this dressing into the rice with the chicken, spring onion, pineapple, pepper and sweetcorn. Refrigerate until needed.
Makes 2 portions
Apple and Blackberry Surprise
- 50g butter
- 75g rolled oats
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 150ml whipping cream
- 115g Greek Yoghurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 200g blackberries
- Melt half the butter in a small pan, add the oats and cook for 1 minute. Stir in half the sugar and cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes until the oats are lightly caramelised. Tip onto a baking tray, spread out and leave to cool.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large pan and sauté the apples for 3-4 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the remaining caster sugar and cook until the apple is caramelised. Allow to cool.
- Lightly whip the cream, then fold in the yoghurt, honey, muscovado sugar and cooled oats. Reserve 8 blackberries and stir the rest into the yoghurt cream, crushing them slightly.
- Layer up the blackberry cream and oats with the apples in four glasses and top with the reserved blackberries.
Makes 4 portions
For more recipe inspiration, download “Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler” app. Access more than 220 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features to keep your family on track and enjoying meal times.