As we all know, entertaining little ones can be hard work – the constant demands for new and exciting activities can really take their toll on even the most organised and inspired of mamas! That’s why we’re all about getting out and about in the ‘Kong; sniffing out the most fun and fabulous activities for kids of all ages and banishing boredom in one fell swoop!
So here are our top ten Family Field Trips of 2013 for your delight and delectation! Happy New Year from all at Sassy Mama Hong Kong and we’ll be back with bags more awesome ideas and inspiration in 2014!
1. Hop on the Star Ferry and head to Kowloon Park for a day of outdoor adventuring. Little kids will love clambering over the playground’s castles and turrets, older kids will test their wits in the maze and amateur ornithologists can get up close and personal with Hong Kong’s bird life at the aviary and bird lake.
2. For kids with energy to burn, indoor skiing and snowboarding at PLAY in Kwun Tong makes for an adventurous day out and the 10,000 square foot space has lots to offer, whatever your age. Littlies can join in with toboggan rides and PLAY Café will keep you all refreshed après-ski. Not into skiing? The baseball, softball, rock climbing and multi-sports simulator should keep everyone busy!
3. If Christmas money is burning a hole in their pockets then a trip to Tai Yuen Street Market in Wan Chai is in order! With toys, trinkets, stationery and every conceivable doo-dah, nick-nack and whatsit a kid covets, this is one shopportunity that won’t break the (piggy) bank!
4. Get on your bike, mama! Mui Wo is a quick and easy ferry ride away, and is the perfect place to blow off any post-party cobwebs with a bike ride around Silvermine Bay. It’s a healthy activity that everyone will enjoy!
5. Parks and playgrounds are always going to win the day, and we think that Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park is underrated and super-convenient! A hop, skip and jump from Sheung Wan, this waterfront wonder has slides, space and that rarest of Hong Kong commodities… grass!
6. Head to Sha Tin and the fabulous Hong Kong Heritage Museum for another whole-family field trip. Field-trippers of all ages will love the re-creations of Mai Po marshlands and New Territories village life and if that all sounds a little too tame, then how about dressing up as a crab and appearing on TV (yes, really!)?
7. Quarry Bay Park and the Fireboat Alexander Grantham. A slice of Hong Kong history that you can wander around (mama) and climb all over (kids), this Field Trip is as fascinating as it is fun!
8. Causeway Bay’s Central Library houses the Hong Kong Toy Library, where little ones are encouraged to play, jump and generally behave in the sort of way that would upset librarians anywhere else! A perfect rainy-day activity, this is convenient and absolutely free!
9. If you simply can’t wait until your next winter holiday to wear your warmest coat and scarf then Ice Skating at Elements Mall should satisfy your craving for cold while teaching you some moves too! Newbies need not fear as instructors are on hand to help you get your balance!
10. Pedal Boating around Wong Nai Chung Reservoir Park will help burn off any lingering Christmas calories and be super fun in the process! Think of it as a spin class that the whole family can participate in…!
And that’s our pick of the bunch, mama! We’re sure there’s a field trip to suit everyone here, and we hope you have a great time exploring everything that Hong Kong has to offer with your family!