Here in Hong Kong, we’re (understandably!) proud of our amazing city so when our sister site Sassy Mama Singapore launched recently and started throwing around all kinds of outrageous claims to being the most family-friendly spot in Asia, we simply couldn’t let the slur stand!
Here’s our top 10 reasons why we love bringing up our kids in the ‘Kong, and why we believe the Little Red Dot has nothing on us!
Think you can beat this, Singapore Mamas? Read all about what the Lion city ladies are saying about their hometown over on Sassy Mama Singapore.
Kate F. – Sassy Mama Hong Kong editor
- The sheer variety of family days out available… be it biking, hiking, boats or beasts in the great outdoors; or culture, craft shopping, (or even straight-up bouncing off the walls!), Hong Kong has it covered.
- Our lazy Sunday dim sum brunch just wouldn’t taste the same anywhere else in the world… and while we do admit to a fondness for Chicken Rice, Hong Kong’s Char Siu wins hands down every time.
- Junk trip! The perfect way to explore the Fragrant Harbour – pack your sea legs and set sail around our beautiful city for a day of sightseeing, swimming and feasting with friends and family.
- There are few views in the world as breathtaking as Hong Kong’s nightly Symphony of Lights… especially when viewed from The Peak. The Singapore Flyer, otherwise known as a poor copy of the London Eye? We’ll pass, thanks!
- Concrete jungle? Not us! With 40% of Hong Kong designated as country parks and nature reserves, it’s easy to find your own little patch of green. Of course, even right here in the city, there are plenty of places for wee ones to run wild…
Katie – Sassy Mama Hong Kong writer (and resident fashionista!)
- It’s never humdrum in Hong Kong… get character, culture and spirituality all rolled into one at 10000 Buddhas Monastery.
- Real beaches and beautiful coastal scenery lie just a stone’s throw from the buzz of the city… none of this artificial nonsense with a whopping oil tanker parked behind the (fake!) palm trees!
- You really can have it all in Hong Kong… get out of the city for a day and discover one of HK’s 262(!) outlying islands. These easy day trips make for the perfect opportunity to learn about fishing traditions of old, and explore Hong Kong’s vibrant rural communities.
- There’s no denying that Mickey and friends have stood the test of time! And there’s no hellish long haul flight for us Hong Kongers to contend with… a mere trip on the MTR whisks us to our very own Disneyland, which just keeps getting better and better.
- We’ve got mountains, beaches, and city streets, and you can even take your kids skiing in our wonderful tropical climate!
We hope that’s concluded the argument once and for all… sorry Singapore, but Hong Kong rules the roost when it comes to family fun!
And we hope you agree with us too, mama! In fact, we’re so excited to hear what you think; we’ve got a little sweetener for you. Simply leave your comments below telling us what you think about being a mama in Hong Kong to stand a chance of winning a gorgeous prize from Mona Shroff Jewellery that’s as glittering as our stunning skyline…
We have two amazing prizes; one for the funniest comment, and one for the best overall comment, as picked by our editorial team.
One lucky winner will take home one from a choice of two pairs of stunning earrings, each worth $3000, in either 18k white gold plated sapphire with man-made diamonds; or 18k antique white gold plate with man-made diamonds. Our second winner will receive a semi-cultured pearl and man-made diamond necklace and matching earring set in 18k white gold plating worth $5000.
Not a lucky winner this time? You can check out Mona’s beautiful designs online or in person at Harvey Nichols, Central and Pacific Place.
Giveaway terms and conditions
- The giveaway runs from 24th June – 5th July.
- Two winners will be picked by the editorial team, and are at the editor’s discretion.
- Winners will be contacted either via email or by private message if the comment has come via Facebook.
- One winner will receive the matching necklace and earring set, and another winner will receive a choice of one pair of earrings, to be chosen from two sets (see above).
Thanks to our sponsor!