After our UK debacle, I can’t tell you how relieved and happy I am to be back in the Kong..yay! So, to get back into the swing of things pronto, I had a little peruse around the shops to see what’s on offer to tantalise my birthday taste buds… Oh yes, by the time you’ve read this I will have clocked up another year and yes, I can handle another candle! I am ready and raring to dust off my party shoes! People beware.
Every now and again we all need a little pick-me-up, especially if unlike me, it’s not your birthday and you’re not going to be showered with gifts (I jest of course, ha ha). So, here are some lovely little finds that won’t damage the bank balance too seriously.
Seed animal print purse $320; not together of course but as you know, I’m always partial to a bit of animal print, so I loved this natty little trilby from Gap priced very reasonably at $149
Gap chino shorts $279, I’m lovin’ the pop of orange that make these shorts say hello summer, here I come, and long enough to cover that goddamn cellulite if you’re cursed; Goldie Moroccan Bag $690 from Club Monaco.
STOP PRESS… did you know that you can also buy Gap online direct from their Hong Kong website www.gap.hk? Click on the very bottom right for English (in beta test though).
Gap, 31 Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong, 2885 0789
Seed, 41 Queen’s Road, Central, Hong Kong, 2160 3171; see all other locations here.
See all Club Monaco locations in Hong Kong here.
See all H&M locations in Hong Kong here.
See all Massimo Dutti locations in Hong Kong here.
What The Frock girls are back!
The WTF girls have some lovely new frocks for us! As these are so hot off the press, I only have two to show from the new collection to tempt you, but the full collection will be available from 17 May 2012 at Polkadot Boutique. You can also buy online at www.whatthefrock.net.
WTF green stripe silk sundress $999 and silk shift in fuchsia $999.
Also, very noteworthy and still available in the current collection are:
WTF nautical stripe one shoulder dress $599, when I first saw this I passed it by on the rail but as you can see it looks fabulous on; you know me also partial to a bit of bling so this one shoulder embellished number at $1099 caught my eye too!
Polkadot Boutique, 2/F, 29 Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong, 2521 0636.
Cork & Candy
So while I was out pounding the pavements of HK, I spied newly opened Cork & Candy from the escalator! This is an intriguing shop, and definitely one for the eco-conscious fashionista. Can you believe that the accessories below are all made from CORK! I marvelled at the snakeskin effect items and they’re all very reasonably priced given the quality and finish.
“Clutch Convertible” $1200, snakeskin effect bracelet (price TBC), cork laptop bag $2400
These ones are not made from cork, but from candy wrappers… I mean sweet wrappers, really?! They also have bags made from bubble wrap and seat belts… seeing is believing! Definitely worth a gander.
Cork & Candy, 1/F, 38 Cochrane Street, Central, Hong Kong, 6898 9432; see other locations here.
This week favourite make-up artist Jaime Smith of Smudge Make Up Artistry is getting us all prepped and primed for Date Night!
Jaime says: “Date Night, one of those things I should probably do more often!
What with the amazing opportunities of extra “help” available here in Hong Kong, most of us moms are actually quite lucky to get out more than our counterparts back home in the West.
So, next time you have the chance to get decked out for a big date with your well deserving partner, try these top tips to give you the confidence to, bring back that spark.
– If you have the extra prep time, be sure to exfoliate and moisturise your face and lips to ensure a healthy glow and tidy up any stray brows.
– Apply an even layer of a good foundation to cover up any blemishes for when your mate gets up close and personal. Make sure to set with a powder to keep the make-up from transferring during a close embrace. My favorite is bareMinerals Illuminating Mineral Veil. It’s light and has mica to create a light reflective finish.
– Make-up should boost your confidence and enhance your features. Draw attention to your eyes and make them big and seductive with smoky eyeliner and full lashes. Try shadows with a pearl finish to ensure lots of eye contact.
– Lips should be kiss-ably soft and smooth. Make them alluring with pale pink peach colors in a non-sticky gloss, for obvious reasons!
– Be daring; try out one of this season’s hottest trends of red lips. There are so many great shades to choose from right now from orange to cherry stain. If you are like me, just the addition of a little red lippy and the night is instantly vamped up.”
Mid-week Meal Inspiration
It wasn’t all bad back in the UK. I came back with some good recipes. Whilst there I reacquainted myself with Lorraine Pascale, one of the new UK celebrity chefs and when I got back to HK, I knocked up this little number Oven Roast Salmon with a Mustard & Parsley Crust from Home Cooking Made Easy: 100 Fabulous, Easy to Make Recipes… just what we like Goddesses!
100g dried breadcrumbs
1 ½ tbsp soft light brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Knob of butter
Grated zest of 2-3 limes (use the limes to squeeze over the baked fish)
1 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 skinless salmon fillets
1. Preheat the oven to 200c (400f), gas mark 6.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs, sugar, mustard, butter, lime zest, parsley and seasoning together in a small bowl. Divide the mixture among the 4 fish fillets and pat the mixture on top of each one. You will need to squish it down so it sticks. Don’t worry if some of the mixture falls off the side.
3. Put the fish in an ovenproof dish, then place it in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on how you like your fish cooked).
4. Once cooked, take out of the oven, transfer to warmed serving plates and serve steaming hot boiled potatoes and broccoli, both tossed in a little butter.
Lorraine says: “I love to eat this with good Swiss Chard, too.”
Instant Goddess says: “Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me!”
Yogi tea saying of the week: “Don’t worry your life away”.
Until next week Goddesses… and remember you are always, always worth it!
Check out all of Katie’s Instant Goddess columns here.