Once again, we’re handing the reins over to Sassy dad-of-two and General Manager of Catering at Chez Patrick – Laurent Brouard! This month, Laurent’s family favourite is a scrummy and colourful couscous-based dish that’s influenced by the French love of North African cuisine, and is as pretty as it is delish! Over to you, Laurent…
This dish is good way for kids to discover the taste and texture of different vegetables, with the sweetness of the smoked salmon helping to keep things interesting! This is tried-and-tested by my family and my kids love the smoked salmon… I hope yours do too!
Tabbouleh with crunchy vegetables, smoked salmon salad and a touch of mint:
120g smoked salmon
150g semolina couscous
40g red onion
40g red pepper
40g yellow courgette / zucchini
40g green courgette / zucchini
Half a lemon, for juicing
Around a teaspoon of mint leaves
Salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
- Combine the dried couscous and mint in a bowl.
- Boil some water with a little bit of salt and olive oil, and pour on top of the couscous and chopped mint mixture.
- Cover your bowl, and allow 5-7 minutes to absorb all the water.
- Fluff up the couscous and mint mix with a fork to ensure the couscous doesn’t clump together.
- Dice your vegetables and smoked salmon into small cubes.
- Combine vegetables and salmon with the couscous, then add salt, pepper and olive oil to taste.
- Serve with a dash of olive oil, a fresh mixed salad, some sliced cherry tomatoes to decorate, and a spring of mint on top.
Voilà! Bon appétit!
Laurent Brouard is the Head Chef of Chez Patrick Catering. He has over 17 years experience working with world-renowned chefs, such as Joel Robuchon and Bernard Loiseau. Laurent also has extensive experience organising large scale events for private and corporate customers. Having worked in Japan for 7 years, Laurent adores Japanese cuisine and is heavily influenced by these flavours and tastes.