Social Media


Ask Andreas: How to find a temporary Helper in Hong Kong?

ExpertsPost Category - ExpertsExpertsFamily LifePost Category - Family LifeFamily Life - Post Category - Domestic HelpersDomestic Helpers

I am a full-time working mother of two. My current helper is pregnant, plans to have the baby in Hong Kong and will continue to be under contract with us for a year more after the birth. What is the best way to find a helper to fill in for the two months when she’ll be on maternity leave? Is there an agency I can approach? 

There are many nanny and cleaning agencies that you can use. Note, however, that contracting such services is significantly more expensive than employing a helper.

All Foreign Domestic Helper contracts are for two years, and part time employment is illegal. Hiring an additional helper is possible but you would then have to keep her for the entire two-year contract. You cannot let her go after a few months citing redundancy when your original helper comes back.

On a side note, I would recommend you stay in touch with your helper periodically during her maternity leave in case her plans change and she decides not to come back.

more sassy mama

What's New

We're social

We're social

What we're up to and what inspires us