Social Media

back | pregnancy

How To Get A Passport For Your New Baby In Hong Kong

ExpertsPost Category - ExpertsExperts - Post Category - PregnancyPregnancy - Post Category - BabyBabyPostnatalPost Category - PostnatalPostnatal - Post Category - ParentingParenting

Get your soon-to-be jet-setter travel-ready!

Obtaining your newborn baby a passport in Hong Kong can feel overwhelming, but in reality, it’s quite easy for passports for most countries in the world. In fact, one Sassy Mama we know applied for three passports for her bub and found that they all arrived so soon, she now has a problem of plenty! What is essential is getting all documents and paperwork in order (births in Hong Kong have to be registered within 42 days of delivery). After all, travelling to and waiting in consular offices with a hungry newborn can be quite painful! That’s why we have got it all sorted out for you. All the research is done and we’ve included tons of useful links for you right here. So sit back and relax as we help you navigate through the process of applying for your newborn baby’s first passport in Hong Kong.

Sassy Mama tip: The most tiresome process can often be getting the baby’s passport photo as photography shops can be quite inflexible when it comes to changing angles to accommodate a baby unable to hold his or head up. So mums can bring a white bed sheet to cover their hands while supporting a sitting up baby for the photograph. Another tip is to get forms beforehand and fill in everything while leaving details of the baby’s name, gender, date of birth, etc. blank. That way, you save time when you are tired and stressed after the birth of the baby.

Here’s how to get a passport for your baby for the following countries:
Hong Kong

Editor’s Note: The situation in Hong Kong regarding closures and restrictions on opening hours due to the coronavirus is constantly evolving. Consular offices are offering fewer passport appointment slots, so make sure to check the websites for the latest information. Please follow the latest government advice and stay home if you have recently travelled overseas, have interacted with anyone who has been away, or display any symptoms.

Read more: New Dad Survival Guide: Tips From A Proud New Father

baby passport in hk Hksar pregnancy travel

Hong Kong

As with everything in Hong Kong, the government here has made applying for and getting a baby’s passport super easy. To apply in person (with original documents), you can make an appointment online or by phone 2598 0888. You can also apply by post or drop-in (with photocopied documents), but this may extend the process by 2 to 3 working days. Within 14 working days, you can go back and collect your baby’s passport or even allow a representative to pick it up through a signed authorisation (ID 678).

Is my child eligible for a Hong Kong passport?

Yes, provided your child is a Chinese citizen, a permanent resident of the HKSAR, and a holder of a valid Hong Kong permanent identity card (see these FAQs to learn more). 

What do I need to apply for?

The passport, via a simple 2-page ID 842 form. But if your child does not yet have their permanent identity card, as is the case for a newborn, an additional ROP 3 form is needed.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

If your child already has a permanent identity card:

  • The completed ID 842 form
  • The child’s Hong Kong permanent identity card
  • One recent colour photograph on a white background (40mm X 50mm)
  • Consenting parent’s Hong Kong identity card or valid travel document
  • The child’s birth certificate with the consenting parent’s name, or a court order for proof of consenting legal guardian’s custodial rights
  • Application fee ($185 for 32 pages or $230 for 48 pages) to be paid via EPS, cash, or credit. If you are posting the documents, you should enclose a cheque
  • Plus one other document with proof of identity or a Form for Countersignature (ID 641) with a copy of the counter-signers identifying document

If your child does not yet have a Hong Kong permanent identity card:

  • The completed ID 842 form
  • Completed application form for a Hong Kong permanent identity card (ROP 3)
  • Document supporting the child’s right of abode (a Hong Kong birth certificate showing permanent residence status is sufficient)
  • The child’s birth certificate with the consenting parent’s name, or a court order for proof of consenting legal guardian’s custodial rights
  • Two identical recent colour photographs on a white background (40mm X 50mm)
  • Consenting parent’s Hong Kong identity card or valid travel document
  • Application fee (same as above)
  • Plus one other document with proof of identity or a Form for Countersignature (ID 1641) with a copy of the counter-signers identifying document

If you need a quick guide to filling out the forms, look here.

Read more: Your Guide To Recycling And Reusing Baby Gear In Hong Kong

baby passport in hk family pregnancy travel


The entire process of obtaining an Australian passport takes about six to eight weeks (don’t plan any trips for before your baby is two months old just to be on the safe side). You’ll first need to apply for Australian Citizenship by descent (this takes a month), and you’ll need your child’s original Hong Kong birth certificate in order to apply. Once you’ve got those, you need to make a visit to the Australian Consulate-General over in Wan Chai to hand in your forms in person (thankfully, your baby can stay home!). Luckily, there are convenient times for lodging applications, from Monday through Friday, 9am to 4pm but you must be sure to book in advance. In about 15 business days, you can go back and pick up your bub’s passport.

Is my child eligible for an Australian passport?

If either you or your partner is an Australian citizen, your child is eligible for an Australian passport. 

What do I need to apply for?

A passport – the application form for minors can be found at Passports Online (and must be filled online as you cannot download a blank form) or you can pick up blank forms in person from the consulate.

To complete the passport application form, both parents with parental responsibility for the child must give consent on the form, and the consent signing must be witnessed. This can be done at the Consulate-General for an additional fee. The consulate will call both parents to check consent!

In addition to the passport application form, you’ll also need a proof of citizenship for your child through an original Australian Citizenship Certificate.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

Here’s a checklist for the necessary documents and forms when lodging your application:

  • The completed Overseas Application form
  • Application fee (the equivalent of AUD 150 in HKD, approximately $736), not including any additional Consular Fees, if needed. Only HKD is accepted, and this can be paid by cash or credit card. This fee is adjusted regularly, so be sure to check out the fee table before you go.
  • The child’s proof of Australian citizenship
  • Your proof of identity, that shows a photo and signature. Your own Australian passport is best.
  • Lodging parent’s proof of address
  • Original birth certificate (with the names of both parents)
  • Two colour photographs (35 to 40mm X 45 to 50mm, check other guidelines here), with one signed as a true photograph by a guarantor (someone who possess an Australian passport or employed in specific fields)

For further details, refer to this page on the Australian Consulate-General of Hong Kong’s website. You could also call them on 2827 8881 or email at for specific queries.

Read more: Sassy Mama Travels: Your Family Guide To Byron Bay, Australia

baby passport canada travel pregnancy


Getting your baby’s Canadian passport is fairly easy in Hong Kong. Do remember that while the Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong has moved to Exchange Square in Central, the Passport and Citizenship Services office has moved to Quarry Bay. Make sure you’re headed to the right spot! 

Is my child eligible for a Canadian passport?

Your child is likely a Canadian citizen if at least one parent was born in Canada, or became a naturalised Canadian citizen before the child was born. To find out for sure, check the process of applying for a citizenship certificate for your child. There have been some recent amendments to the Citizenship Act and further clarification can be found here. 

What do I need to apply for?

You’ll need to complete a passport application form, and also an application for Citizenship Certificate for your child. 

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

Currently, limited in-person passport and citizenship application services are available by appointment only. If appointments are not available for the date required, applications can be mailed in or dropped off at the Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong in Quarry Bay.

For in-person appointments, both parents must be present for the application process along with your child.

  • A fully completed application form
  • Two identical passport photos (50mm X 70mm); one must be signed by a Guarantor (the “Other” applying parent can be your Guarantor)
  • Original birth certificate
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship or the receipt for the child’s citizenship application
  • Original or certified photocopies of both parents’ valid government issue ID with signature
  • Original or certified photocopies of child’s valid passport of their other nationality (if applicable)
  • Processing fee (CAN$100, approximately $550) to be paid by Visa or MasterCard (Canadian dollars), EPS, or cash order (HKD only)

As there have been recent changes and amendments, read through the Canadian Government’s requirements and suggestions for getting your child’s passport.

Read more: How To Prepare Your Child For Your Baby’s Arrival

baby passport toy plane travel pregnancy


Applying for a French passport in Hong Kong can sometimes be tricky. It requires original documents, a complete set of photocopies and the consulate is often very crowded in Hong Kong. So go through these details carefully to make sure you have everything you need before making an appointment online.

Is my child eligible?

So long as at least one parent is a French national.

What do I need to apply for?

Along with the passport, you must apply for a request for transcription of the birth certificate (to be completed by the French parent). While requesting transcription, it is necessary to indicate any accents to be worn on the child’s first names.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • Your baby. All passport applications require the physical presence of the applicant, though you needn’t bring your child (under 12 years old) while picking up the passport.
  • A certified copy of your baby’s Hong Kong birth certificate
  • Proof of French nationality of at least one parent on the date of birth of the baby.
  • Passports of both parents with photocopies
  • A French marriage certificate. If you have a foreign marriage certificate, it is advisable to request a transcription from the French consulate.
  • The parents’ family booklet with a photocopy of the marriage page (if you are married); otherwise a full copy of each parent’s birth certificate.
  • A request for transcription of the birth certificate. You can download these forms here.

Read more: A French Mama Shares Her Secrets And Tips About French Parenting

baby passport bike travel pregnancy


If you are applying for an Indian passport for your newborn baby, remember that passport and visa services have been outsourced to an external application centre, BLS. The application usually takes a month.

Is my child eligible?

If either you or your spouse is an  Indian citizen, then your child is eligible. Indians are not allowed dual citizenships, so this will be the only passport you will apply for.

What do I need to apply for?

The passport and the registration of birth of a child born abroad.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • The application form that has been filled in online and then printed out
  • You must bring your baby
  • An affidavit signed by both parents and attested by the Office of Oath Commissioner of Hong Kong/Macau.
  • Both parents must be present or a single parent with passports of both. You must also produce an affidavit if you are a single parent or if the other parent is not available for certain reasons (mentioned under para II).
  • Original and photocopies of the first two and last pages of the parent(s)‘ passport(s).
  • Original and photocopies of the HKIDs/valid visas of the parent(s).
  • Three recent passport-size photographs (2in X 2in) with a white background
  • Original and photocopy of the baby’s birth certificate
  • Original and photocopy of the marriage certificate of parents.
  • In case one of the parents is a foreign national, a certificate from the Embassy/Consulate of the foreign country stating that the child has not been registered as its citizen and not been issued a passport OR a signed affidavit by the parents, attested by the Office of Oath Commissioner of Hong Kong.
  • Fees of $632 (including passport and birth registration fees)

Read more: Celebrating Hong Kong’s Diversity

baby passport aeroplane travel pregnancy

United Kingdom

The good news is that the entire British passport process is completed online without need for any appointments in person (interviews in special cases). The bad news is that it could take eight weeks plus, starting from the time that it is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK. So be sure to plan your travel way ahead!

Is my child eligible for a British passport?

You will need to navigate through some tough language for this one. If either you or your partner is British “not by descent,” meaning that if you (or your partner) were able to obtain British citizenship either on your own or were born in Britain, then your child will be able to become a British citizen “by descent.” However, if you are naturalised British citizen or a British citizen by descent yourself, this doesn’t apply to you. If this is unclear, go through this website, which pretty much puts everything in plain language.

What do I need to apply for?

A passport and that’s it!

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

Since everything is conveniently done over the world wide web, you’ll only need a credit card. Some additional details to have on hand:

  • Passport numbers of both parents
  • Two identical new photos of your child (35mm x 45mm)

Sassy Mama tip: This can now be done digitally and there is no longer the necessity for the child’s eyes to be open. You can even take one at home with your baby lying down on a white sheet.

  • A complete colour copy of any other current passports issued by other countries
  • Plus additional supporting documents that may need to be provided in this chart
  • A MasterCard/Visa/Visa Electron/Visa Debit card to pay a total of GBP 72.86 online (approximately $696), which includes the passport and courier fees
  • You will need to have your baby’s identity confirmed by someone who has known you at least two years, holds a UK passport and works for or is retired from certain professions.

Sassy Mama tip: Though the website says the person confirming your baby’s identity needs to live in the UK, you can ignore this as, in this case, he or she needs to live in Hong Kong.

You need to enter all this into the online passport application service and wait patiently for the next eight weeks or so (in many cases, it comes far quicker but it depends on demand). The good news is that you will receive an email notification when they receive your documents, approve the passport and send it out to you. This reassures you that they haven’t forgotten about you! For additional information, be sure to check out the overseas British passport application site.

Read more: How To Avoid Bringing Kids Up In An Expat Bubble In Hong Kong

baby passport travel pregnancy


When obtaining an American Passport you can also apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (similar to a birth certificate) and a Social Security card at the same time. The U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong is where you’ll have to go for your appointment, which can be made online for business hours from Monday through Friday. Processing usually takes 20 days. Social Security cards arrive separately in 3 to 6 months.But first, here are some important items to bring and details to sort through:

Is my child eligible?

If either you or your partner are American citizens, then your child is able to receive a US passport too.

What do I need to apply for?

Before you begin completing the Passport Form (DS-11 form) either online or by hand, your baby will also need a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Ignore the part in the form where they tell you to mail it in as this will cause delays, and instead, bring them with you to the Consulate.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • Your baby! There are no exceptions to this policy.
  • Both you and your spouse must be present, plus your passports.
  • Or, your passport and a copy of the other parent’s passport, along with a notarised affidavit form of the other parent’s consent (Form DS-3053)
  • Your child’s Hong Kong birth certificate (original and official translation if not in English)
  • A marriage certificate (must be original). If your baby was born out of wedlock or within six months of your marriage please check here for additional requirements.
  • Proof of termination of any divorce or death certificates of any prior marriages (in English or translated yourself if not in English already).
  • An affidavit showing all of your and your spouse’s periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your baby’s birth
  • Completed application forms for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form DS-2029), US passport (DS-11) and Social Security Number (Form SS-5-FS).
  • A US passport-sized photo of your baby(2in X 2in or 5cm X 5cm) on a white background. Please see here for photo requirements.
  • USD100 for Consular Report of Birth, USD115 for the passport. Total USD215 (approximately $1,667). Consulate accepts cash (HKD only), credit card (USD only), cheque, bank draft or money order. If paying by cash please note that they don’t accept $1,000 bills or greater.

Sassy Mama tips: The Consulate has both nursing and changing facilities which is helpful, but please do not bring any food, drinks or laptops. Also, note that phones will be left with security during your appointment.

Get these things in order and you’ll be ready to jet off with your bub and his/her new passport! Bon voyage, mama!

Read more: How To Travel With A Newborn Baby

Editor’s note: This post was originally published by Erica in September 2016 and updated by Anita Balagopalan in April 2020.

Featured image courtesy of Getty Images, image 1 courtesy of Jerry Wang via Unsplash, image 2 courtesy of Josh Willink via Pexels, image 3 courtesy of Josh Willink via Pexels, image 4 courtesy of Pixabay via Pexels, image 5 courtesy of PublicDomainArchive via Pixabay, image 6 courtesy of Paul Hanaoka via Unsplash, image 7 courtesy of Blake Guidry via Unsplash

more sassy mama

What's New

We're social

We're social

What we're up to and what inspires us