Extracurricular activities and after-school classes are a great way to discover and develop your child’s talent. Here are the best extracurricular activities for kids of all ages and with various interests!
Looking for extracurricular activities for your child? While summer camps might be coming to an end, it doesn’t mean the fun has to! After all, the benefits of extracurricular activities are well-known. These classes could often supplement what a child is learning at school with practical, hands-on knowledge. Sometimes, they could help identify and hone talent. Most importantly, soft skills such as communication, compassion and leadership are often developed through after-school classes and workshops.
As extracurricular classes in school tend to get full very fast, it’s always best to scout around for external class providers for extracurricular activities of your choice as well. From art classes to sports, tech and coding workshops to the stage with dance classes and drama courses for kids, you’re sure to find something to keep your toddlers, to teens entertained and stimulated once the school bell has rung.
Read More: Best Stationery Stores In Hong Kong
Multi-Activity Extracurricular Classes
Guidepost Montessori – Extracurricular enrichment programs in Discovery Bay
If your child wants to explore a little bit of everything, Guidepost Montessori might be the right fit. It offers extra-curricular enrichment programs that give children the opportunity to dive deep into different areas, explore their interests and build mastery. They’ll have the opportunity to learn everything from cooking in the Montessori Kitchen, growing plants in the Montessori Garden to unleashing their creativity with DIY arts and crafts in the Mini Makers program. Don’t forget to book your trial session!
Sassy Mama Tips: If you enrol in a program after your trial session, the paid trial fee will be deducted from the enrollment fee. If you enrol in two or more programs, a 5% discount will be offered, plus if two children are enrolled together, a 5% discount will be offered for both families (the total discount will not exceed 10%).
ActiveKids – Multi-activity after-school classes for 3 to 18-year-olds
ActiveKids specialises in delivering fun and educational multi-activity programs to children from 3 to 18 years old. It offers interactive and engaging after-school activities at the ActiveKids Learning Centre in Kennedy Town as well as at over 60 schools and club locations. From hands-on science, creative cooking and international chess training to robotics, coding, arts and crafts and fashion design, your child is sure to find something they love!
ActiveKids Learning Centre, Unit A, 1/F, Nan Seng Building, 86 Belcher’s Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong, 3480 4199, WhatsApp: 9178 7376, Instagram: @activekidshk, Facebook: ActiveKids HK, www.activekidshk.com
The Kelly Yang Project – Model UN extracurricular activities in Hong Kong
This premier learning centre offers intensive young author workshops, Model United Nations (MUN), and competitive debate, global thinking and critical writing classes.
Casita – Extracurricular classes with mixed ages in dance, STEM and more
Casita combines Zumbini with its popular Play-Oriented Discovery Sessions (PODS) comprising sensory exploration, arts and crafts and STEM activities.
More Multi-Activity Extracurricular Classes
- Hong Kong Academy – Co-curricular after-school multi-activity classes from outdoor activities to performing arts. www.co-curricular.hkacademy.edu.hk
- Qurio Education – Extracurricular activities designed to complement what’s taught in local schools. www.qurioed.com
- JA (Junior Achievement) Hong Kong – Programs for kids of all ages to achieve career readiness, financial health and entrepreneurship skills. www.jahk.org
- JEMS Character Academy – Extracurricular activities to build character and social-emotional skills. www.jems.com.hk
- ESF Language and Learning – Coding and language classes for ESF and non-ESF students. www.esf.org.hk
- FezEd Adventuring School – Online extracurricular classes for all-around development. www.fezedhk.com
Sports & Swimming Extracurricular Classes
Minisport — A sampler class of a variety of sports for young kids
It’s no easy task working out which sport your kid will find a passion for. At Minisport, they’ll be introduced to six sports through one program (three sports per term on a rotating basis) with hockey, athletics and basketball offered in the August to December term and football, tennis and rugby in the following term. From throwing, rolling and kicking along with running and jumping, obstacle courses and more, these skills form the basics of everything from rugby to racquet sports and help develop your kids’ athletic abilities no matter which active pursuits they follow in the years to come.
Rugby Tots – Rugby for children and toddlers, book your free trial class today
Rugby Tots offers rugby classes for children and toddlers, providing a unique atmosphere to improve their confidence, skills and have lots of fun along the way. Sessions are specially designed for each age group and are fast-paced where children are encouraged to work independently and as part of a team. The best part, they have Hong Kong’s most engaging and energetic coaches supporting them every step of the way. Claim your free trial class via WhatsApp for the September to December term now!
26 Coaching – Extracurricular activities in track athletics or triathlon and multi-sport disciplines
From elite-level athletes to beginners, 26 Coaching offers after-school programmes taught by experienced coach Kate Rutherford to help the budding track and field stars of the future. Suitable for ages 6 to 18 years old.
Australasia Tennis Aces (ATA) – Extracurricular classes with tennis coaching for kids
Australasia Tennis Aces, or ATA, is a reputable tennis company in Hong Kong with a wide variety of coaching expertise and programmes for kids from 3 to 18 years old.
Harry Wright International – Extracurricular kids’ swimming classes
Boasting accomplished alumni, including ex-Olympians and Hong Kong record-holders, Harry Wright International is synonymous with swimming classes in the city. Classes are suitable for ages 4 months and up.
My Gym – Gymnastics extracurricular classes for children
My Gym is an established English-based gymnastics playgroup for kids. The centre helps kids from 6 months to 6 years old develop and improve their movement, body awareness, coordination and dexterity skills (while having a lot of fun in the process!).
More Sports & Swimming Extracurricular Classes In Hong Kong
- Asia Pacific Soccer Schools (APSS) And Kinder Kicks – Extracurricular classes ideal for budding footballers. www.apsoccer.hk
- Hong Kong International Tennis Academy (HKITA) – Kids’ tennis coaches in Hong Kong for kids from 2 to 18 years old. www.hkita.com
- Hong Kong Badminton Association (HKBA) – Badminton coaches for kids in Hong Kong. www.hkbadmintonassn.org.hk
- Sai Kung Sharks – Football for toddlers to 14 years old with girls’ football classes also available. www.saikungsharksfc.com
Arts & Creative Extracurricular Classes In Hong Kong
Hong Kong Art Tutoring – Extracurricular art classes for kids in Hong Kong
Whether your child is looking for extra help with their art coursework, trying to build a portfolio for university, or simply wanting to get involved, Hong Kong Art Tutoring is just the ticket! Suitable for kids from 14 to 18 years old.
CreativeKids – In-person and online extracurricular classes in Hong Kong
CreativeKids collaborates with schools, centres and corporations to bring you all kinds of art and design-related extracurricular activities from drawing to oil painting, architecture and more. Suitable for kids from 1.5 years.
More Arts & Creative Extracurricular Classes In Hong Kong
- Colour My World – Group extracurricular classes for performing arts, communication arts and digital art classes including filmmaking for ages 3 years and up. www.colour-my-world.com
- ActiveKids – Art classes for budding fashion designers. www.activekidshk.com
- Art Rooftop – Flexible art and painting classes for kids. www.artrooftop.com
- KA Atelier – Chinese calligraphy and painting classes. www.ka-atelier.com
Extracurricular Language Classes In Hong Kong
Mini Mandarins – Mandarin extracurricular activities for children
All extracurricular classes at Mini Mandarins are run in small groups of four to six children and are taught using the situational teaching method, which integrates learning, play and exercise. Suitable for kids from 1.5 years old.
Alliance Française – Extracurricular French classes in Hong Kong
Alliance Française’s extracurricular activities are taught in French in order to maximise exposure and give kids and teens the opportunity to discover the culture and really practise speaking the language. Suitable for kids from 18 months to 16 years old.
More Extracurricular Language Classes In Hong Kong
- The Spanish Academy – After-school Spanish classes for kids from 2 to 17 years sold. www.thespanishacademy.hk
- Hong Kong Institute of Languages – Multi-language extracurricular classes for 4 to 17 year olds. hklanguages.com/courses-for-children
- Impact Language – Small group Japanese language courses for both English and Cantonese speakers. www.impactlc.com/japanese-courses
- Baker & Bloom – Creative Writing, STEM, Public Speaking, and the inspirED Reader & Writer English programme for ages 3 to 11. www.bakerandbloom.com
Dance, Drama & Music Extracurricular Activities In Hong Kong
Ballroom Bees – Ballroom dancing after school classes for kids
Founded by “Strictly Come Dancing” star Katya Virshilas and her world Champion husband Klaus Kongsdal Jensen, BallroomBees focuses on teaching young kids ballroom dancing. Classes are suitable for kids from 18 months to 11 years old.
Jean M. Wong School of Ballet – Classical ballet extracurricular classes in Hong Kong
Having been on the dancing scene in Hong Kong since 1960, the Jean M. Wong School of Ballet starts training young and uses the RAD system for classes and examinations. Suitable for kids from 2 years old.
Parkland Music Institute — Music extracurricular classes across Hong Kong
Parkland Music also offers some of the most extensive guitar classes in the city as well as almost any other musical instrument you could think of. It also has a stellar kid’s programme just for kids from 2 to 8 years who want to learn the guitar.
Dance, Drama & Music Extracurricular Activities In Hong Kong
- Faust – Performing arts extracurricular classes in Hong Kong. www.faustworld.com
- Helen O’Grady Drama Academy – Australian-founded extracurricular drama classes. www.helenogradyhk.weebly.com
- Aspire Music – Extracurricular music classes in Hong Kong for kids over 4 years old. www.aspiremusic.com.hk
- Tom Lee Music – Long-established music shop with a variety of music classes. www.tlmf.org
Coding, Science & STEM Extracurricular Classes In Hong Kong
Cobo Academy – Extracurricular activities in tech and coding
Cobo Academy’s innovative curriculum is the collective brainchild of experienced coders and educators – many of whom happen to be parents! Classes are available online and also in-person and are suitable for kids from 4 years old.
Curiosity Kids – After-school science classes in Hong Kong
Curiosity Kids promises to get your kids interested in science and how things work. Classes are suitable for kids from 2 to 8 years old.
More Coding, Science & STEM Extracurricular Classes In Hong Kong
- Little Genius House – The only bilingual kids club in the city, classes are conducted in both English and Mandarin. www.littlegeniushouse.com
- RoboCode Academy – Robotics and coding programmes for kids as young as 4 years old. www.robocodeacademy.com
- iD Tech – Python, Java, Minecraft, Roblox, Unity, Adobe, 3D modelling for ages 7 to 18 years. www.idtech.com
Editor’s Note: “The Best Extracurricular Activities And After School Classes In Hong Kong” was most recently updated in August 2023 by Najuka Redkar.