From food to cosmetic refills, home furniture and more, there are tons of environment-friendly eco-stores in Hong Kong. From Live Zero to Slowood and everything in between, here’s where you can pick up your zero-waste essentials in the 852!
We all know how damaging plastic and non-biodegradable items can be to the environment. And sadly, recycling will not be enough. The good news is that many large corporations, from IKEA to Unilever, are taking an eco-friendly turn. Equally heartening was the news that children across the world managed to influence the popular toy company Lego to stop plastic packaging and the company also announced that it would switch over from plastic to a plant-based material by 2030.
As the children who moved Lego have proved, pressure and persistence from individuals and families can bring about change. As concerned parents who want to leave a clean, green, and habitable planet for our children, most of us make eco-conscious choices on a daily basis. And while it is difficult to go zero-waste in Hong Kong, it’s more doable now than ever. It’s the little green steps that count.
So where do we start?
Refuse plastic shopping bags. This is easily doable and our children often serve as the strictest monitors of this.
Carry refillable cups and bottles. Download the Water for Free app to know where you can refill your bottles in Hong Kong.
Reduce, reuse and recycle – let this mantra guide most of your buying decisions.
Shop at environment-friendly stores (in Hong Kong, if possible) and choose sustainable brands.
Now that you’ve got the basics down, here’s a list of environment-friendly and zero-waste shops for your day-to-day essentials. We tell you where to go if you want to pick up organic food for the family, packaging-free beauty products for yourself (or natural insect repellant for the kids), bamboo bed sheets and furniture for the home, and those saviours in the Hong Kong humidity – stainless steel bottles. Happy shopping!
Featured Zero-Waste Shops In Hong Kong
Environment-Friendly One-Stop Shops In Hong Kong
Food And Produce Environment-Friendly stores in Hong Kong
Environmentally Friendly Personal Care And Beauty Brands In Hong Kong
Home And Lifestyle Zero-Waste Stores In Hong Kong
International Zero-Waste Brands And Sites That Ship To Hong Kong
Featured Zero-Waste Shops In Hong Kong
Island Life — Sustainable household cleaning products
Did you know that the number one ingredient in most of your household cleaning products is water? That makes your products bulky and heavier to transport (not to mention the carbon emissions of that transport!). While refillable options from bulk stores are a great start to get us on the sustainability track, Island Life takes it one step further, providing a concentrated tab with minimal packaging. Simply put the tab in your own bottle, add water and you’re done! The best part, it’s affordable too, with prices starting at $78 for three refills!! Try it out yourself with the Dish Soap or Hand Wash starter kits which come with a refillable Island Life glass bottle and three soap tabs.
Use discount code SASSYMAMA for 10% off your Island Life purchase. Offer valid until 31 December, 2023.
Environment-Friendly One-Stop Shops In Hong Kong
Beyond Plastic caters both to retail customers and businesses with its B2B wholesale partnership, offering everything from bamboo paper towels to sugarcane takeaway boxes, pasta straws, silk floss, and more.
The very first zero-waste store to open in Hong Kong, Live Zero carries everything from grains to stationery for kids, bamboo plasters, packaging-free shampoos, menstrual cups and more. You can shop at its two bulk food outlets in Sai Ying Pun and Sai Kung, its bulk beauty store in Sai Ying Pun or order online. Just remember to bring your own containers when you go to stock up at the store.
Live Zero (Sai Ying Pun), G/F 33 High Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong, WhatsApp: 9433 3394
Lively Life has seasonal fresh produce, as well as fair-trade coffee, different kinds of vinegar and locally made organic kitchen and beauty items. And if you need to fill up that reusable water bottle, it’s got a water station, too.
From former That Mama, Shirley Kwok, the founder of The Cakery, comes a sustainable online concept store, KIRR (Keeping It Real & Raw), with household, pantry, natural cleaning products and hand sanitiser. KIRR also has a great blog with recipe ideas, tips on sustainable living, lifestyle and more.
The Store stocks leading international brands in different categories, from health supplements to baby essentials, personal care items, organic groceries and laundry items. It delivers all over Hong Kong in recyclable packaging.
More Environment-Friendly One-Stop Shops In Hong Kong
- Organic We – Stocks home care, beauty, food, health and pet care products, you’ll get a discount if you bring your own containers. www.organicwe.com
- Seed – Everything from noodles and rice to tea, beauty and kitchen accessories. www.facebook.com/weareseedhongkong
- Slowood – Offers a wide range of whole food groceries, body, hair and health products and a huge range of home and cookware. www.slowood.hk
- The Bulk Shop by Margella – The first zero-waste concept store in Tai Po. www.thebulkshop.hk
- Green Common – for all your plant-based essentials, www.greencommon.com
- Petit Tippi – Top quality, natural, organic and eco-friendly products for babies and mums. www.petittippi.com
Eco-Friendly Food And Produce In Hong Kong
Whether you’re looking to stock up on liquors for cooking or drinking, Vom Fass will set you up. Offering liquors, vinegars and gourmet foods, you can purchase containers from the stores on your first visit and refill them each time you visit. It has outlets all over the city, though you can also place an order with its online store.
Founded by three mums in 2012, Eat FRESH is a subscription service delivering fresh, local, organically farmed goods on a weekly basis. With different subscription options including baby and toddler bags and green juicing ones, Eat FRESH delivers produce without unnecessary packaging.
FoodCraft’s mission is to provide healthy, allergy-free, alternative foods for customers. Its online store has vegan yoghurts, sauerkraut, sprouted nuts and healthy no-white-sugar snacks. Some of these are also available at select retailers. In its efforts to stay zero-waste, FoodCraft has a glass jar recycling programme for its products.
Phenix by OnTheList
With a mission to put an end to food waste, Phenix works with various food retailers in Hong Kong to rescue perfectly good food that would otherwise go to waste. You can simply download the app and choose from the available baskets from a wide range of restaurants, cafes and supermarkets for hugely discounted prices!
Phenix by OnTheList, www.phenixbyonthelist.com
More Zero Waste Food And Produce In Hong Kong
- Ms Audrey – It has a great collection of custom blends of loose-leaf floral teas. Just bring your own container and request for the staff to transfer your teas! www.msaudrey.com
- Taboocha – Local brand made selling kombucha made with all-natural ingredients and probiotics. www.taboocha.com
- Regency Spices – High-quality spices and herbs that are sourced without passing through a middleman, www.regencyspices.hk
Environment-Friendly Beauty Brands And Stores In Hong Kong
Bathe To Basics
Bathe to Basics offers handcrafted products, from shampoos and conditioners to face washes and lip balms. It uses natural and organic ingredients, such as olive oil and essential oils. While its products aren’t completely plastic-free, Bathe to Basics encourages customers to bring their own containers by having refill stations (see here) for many of its products at its main shop and at a few eco-friendly shops in Hong Kong.
In 2005, BeyOrg was established as the first natural cosmetic store in Hong Kong. It has remained committed to its promise of offering the best brands in terms of natural, organic, cutting-edge, fresh cosmetics that are most suited to Asian skin.
Soaper Delights has been making handmade soaps, laundry detergents, shampoos, insect repellants, select cosmetics and more in Hong Kong since 2013. It aims to provide high-quality products with a low impact on the environment, by using natural ingredients and eco-friendly packaging. It’s available online and at select retailers.
Zero Yet 100
Zero Yet 100 specialises in natural, effective, and chemical and synthetic-free deodorants that come in various essential oil fragrances. Zero Yet 100 has recently expanded its products to include luxurious bath oils. You can purchase products online, or pick up what you need at eco-friendly sites and stores across the city.
Consider Aesop for hair, skin and body care products made from ingredients of the highest quality (plant-based and laboratory-made). At the stores, informed consultants are available to help you make your selection.
Founded in 2010 by a makeup artist and worn by multiple celebrities since, the Leaping Bunny-certified brand offers cruelty-free, vegan makeup and makeup accessories.
More Environment-Friendly Beauty Brands In Hong Kong
- We Are NO Expert – Offers solutions for sensitive skin. www.wearenoexpert.com
- Coconut Matter – Products made from coconut oil that comes from fair-trade and sustainable farms. www.coconutmatter.com
- Purearth – Handcrafted vegan, eco-friendly and ethical products, made in small batches. www.purearth.asia
- Savon Workshop – for handmade skincare and beauty products. You can now make your own here. www.savonworkshop.com
- Zero Yet 100 – Natural, effective, and chemical and synthetic-free deodorants.
- Elate Beauty – Makeup products including eyeshadow trios and vegan brushes made using recyclable materials. www.elatebeauty.com
- LUSH – Handmade and eco-friendly bath products. www.hk.lush.com
- The Body Shop – Firmly against animal testing, it also champions sustainability and going zero-waste with its recycling programmes. www.thebodyshop.com
- Hibernicis – Bath and body products made from 99% naturally derived ingredients and sold in recyclable packaging. www.hibernicis.com
Environment-Friendly Home And Lifestyle Brands In Hong Kong
Look at Bamboa for all things bamboo that has been sourced sustainably to support rural bamboo communities. It has luxurious bamboo silk bed sheets, towels, T-shirts, homeware and accessories. For kids, it has a cute range of towels, bibs, bottles and lunchboxes.
Founded in Hong Kong, Dalisay collection offers handcrafted furniture and home decor created by independent craftsmen that it promises will last for generations. It’s designed to be refurbished, repurposed or reused, and they even have a policy that allows you to try the product before you commit to buying it to help reduce waste.
The Lion Rock Press
This Hong Kong brand has captured the essence of the eco-evangelist’s catch-phrase with its No Plastic Mm Goi collection of steel bottles and tumblers and collapsible silicone lunchboxes. Its products are available online and at select retailers.
Founded in 2014, this brand uses corn or plant starch extract called PLA (poly-lactic acid) for its mugs, cruelty-free leather for its pouches and bamboo for its cutlery and toothbrushes. You can buy directly from its online store or get in touch for large and customised orders.
More Environment-Friendly Home And Lifestyle Brands In Hong Kong
- Malabar Baby – Offers eco-friendly bedding, swaddled, blankets, clothing and more. www.malabarbaby.com
- Naked Lab – Chemical-free, luxurious, affordable and sustainable bedding. www.nakedlab.me
- The Wee Bean – Co-founded by our That Mama, Amy Tang, it has a range of skin-sensitive baby products, including blankets, bibs, vests and more. www.theweebean.com
- Retykle – For preloved designer brands for babies and toddlers. www.retykle.com
Read More: Where To Buy Kids’ Clothes In Hong Kong
International Environment-Friendly Brands That Ship To Hong Kong
Here you’ll find a large range of earth-friendly choices for your littlest ones, from balms and salves to soft toys and baby bottles. It also carries a selection of other products for the rest of the family, ensuring strict standards and researching its products and companies before sourcing from them to make some real change. Information regarding shipping prices can be found here.
Package Free Shop
Founded by zero-waste blogger Lauren Singer of Trash is for Tossers (she fit five years worth of waste in a 16oz mason jar!), the Package Free Shop offers everything from menstrual cups to organic cotton bedding and beyond to items for travel and kids. There are even sustainable back-to-school supplies! Using only post-consumer packing materials rescued from their previous owners and paper packing tape, everything your items come in is 100% recyclable and compostable.
Package Free Shop, www.packagefreeshop.com
More International Environment-Friendly Brands That Ship To Hong Kong
- Life Without Plastic, for stationery, cloth diapers, and other items, some of which are sourced sustainably from China, www.lifewithoutplastic.com
- Womb, for carefully curated sustainable products by small designers, www.itswomb.com
- Wild Minimalist, for cute vintage style homeware and cotton mesh produce bags, www.wildminimalist.com
Editor’s Note: Environmentally Friendly, Zero Waste And Plastic Free Stores In Hong Kong was most recently updated in January 2023 by Najuka Redkar.